What are the criteria for volunteers?
- At least 18 years old
- Intermediate fitness level
- No major medical issues
- Able to commit time
- Able to stand long hours in the heat and rain
What to wear and bring?
- Volunteers can bring along water bottles, snacks, extra set of clothes, towel, and slippers to change.
- Take note that refreshments will be provided in the event.
- Volunteers can bring their smart phones but please ensure that they are protected with a waterproof case
- Volunteers are required to wear protective and covered attire as depicted below.
- If volunteers do not fulfil the attire requirement, they are not allowed to enter the planting site and join the field activities.
How long is the event?
- Badas Tree Planting is a one-year long programme.
- It is divided into 5 segments:
- Actual planting (25 Feb – 6 Mar 2021)
- 1st month post-planting (3 – 7 Apr 2021)
- 3rd month post-planting (5 – 9 Jun 2021)
- 6th month post-planting (4 – 8 Sep 2021)
- 12th month post-planting (5 – 9 Mar 2022)
- The next registration for the 6th month post-planting will be open in early August 2021.
- Subsequent registration for the post-planting activities will be open 1 month before the event.
- Post-planting events will be held on the 1st week of the month starting from Sat, excluding Fri.
- The activities will begin at 8.30am and end latest by 12pm.
What type of activities can volunteers expect?
- Volunteers will have to trek for about 50 – 100 m in open and unstable peat swamp terrain to reach the planting locations
- Each planting event has a different set of activities for volunteers.
- Activities include:
- Planting and replacing of dead saplings
- Applying fertilisers to the trees
- Measuring of the tree’s height and stem diameter
- Recording of data and observations
What are the incentives for volunteers?
- Packed lunch and bottled water will be provided for volunteers.
- Volunteers will be awarded a certificate of participation for the activity.
How to get to Badas planting site?
- Shuttle bus will be provided to volunteers from UBD and volunteers have to assemble at UBD before the shuttle bus leaves at 7am. Exact time and location to assemble will be emailed to volunteers before the volunteering date.
- Other volunteers can drive and park their vehicles in Badas road before the event begins at 8.30am.
- Event location can be found here
To find out more on what volunteers can expect during the event, click the link below!
Badas Tree Planting Team
The organising team comprises of:
Project leads: Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology (SMART) and Universiti Brunei Darussalam (UBD)
Main Sponsor: Brunei Shell Petroleum (BSP)
Main collaborators: Brunei’s Forestry Department (FD), Wetlands International (WI), and Nanyang Technological University (NTU)
Ask us for more info!